Zaki's Critical Reflection

 

        I've always though that a communication modules are a waste of time. It stems from the mindset that "I'm an Engineer, why do i need to do presentation". Personally, i do admit that my grammar does require polishing, and that presenting has always been a weak suite of mine. Going through this 13 weeks, when i heard that we have to present formally in front of the class, truth be told, i was nervous. However, as the saying goes "Life has to go on, don't give up", i can't dwell on the fear of presentation, and to just get it done. 

        By going through 13 weeks of this critical thinking and communication module, there have been many valuable things and experience that i have learnt and picked up. First up, my fear of presentation. Doing group presentation is not as bad as i thought it would be. Although it was nerve-wrecking, i came to the realization that my heightened senses is a result of the fear within me magnifying things. However, there are things that i can improve on, such as maintaining eye contact, which is something that i am struggling with, even in a day to day conversation. What i find invigorating is the inclusion of the feedback session at the end of the presentation session, offering me a valuable learning opportunity.

        Not only that, another valuable learning outcome i have attained from this report, despite it being tedious, is the proper use of citation and research for the report. The approach taught to us in this module is 7th edition APA citation method. Through the use of this citation method, it will help us avoid plagiarism as we are taught how to effectively and efficiently quote the author/writer, enabling us to use their words as the main point of our report. I find it useful that i am taught this in the beginning of my SIT journey, as i believe it will prove useful throughout my academic journey, and even in my career. The various methods of research taught to us teaches me on how to acquire information needed in a quick and precise manner through the efficient use of key words in search engine, such as the use of " " and the various research platforms available to us, such as google scholar. 

        In my Team's project, i took upon the role of secretary. Key tasks for me is to document our groups research process, and to help my team with the flow of their report and to assist my president with tasks that need to be done. However, i am grateful for my team as we aren't defined by just our role. We helped each other with their work when they needed help, getting through this together as a team. A significant takeaway from this project is my enhanced ability to comprehend the thoughts of my group mates such as Luqman, Weili and Diew Han, collaborate effectively while at the same time, synthesizing our collective thoughts and ideas into a comprehensive report. 

        Overall, the experience and the things i have learnt from this critical thinking and communication module proves to be useful, and i can foresee myself utilizing the skills i learnt from this module throughout my whole SIT journey. Thank you Prof. Blackstone for making this an engaging and fun module.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Descriptive Reflection (Formal Introductory Letter)